The five Sign up to Safety pledges
Organisations and individuals who sign up to the campaign commit to setting out actions they will undertake in response to the following five pledges:
- Put safety first. Commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public the goals and plans developed locally.
- Continually learn. Make their organisations more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe their services are.
- Honesty. Be transparent with people about their progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong.
- Collaborate. Take a leading role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use.
- Support. Help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. Give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate the progress.